Starting out as a small fishing village surrounded by farming country, Grange over sands first historical reference was as early as the 15th Century, when it was recorded as grange-with-kentisbank in the Cartmel Priory registers. The name may have come from the French word for barn or granary, the 'Graunge' or the Latin name for grain being 'Grancia', because of the grain grown by the Monks of the Cartmel Priory which was stored there. The Monks at the priory were a vital part of community life until the priory was destroyed in 1536 on the orders of Henry VIII, although the Church was saved due to the parish appealing to the King to leave it for their place of worship.
As the village grew into a town, the Victorian period saw much development with the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway being built in 1857. With the new railway came the increase of tourism which in turn saw the town becoming a popular seaside resort, with new hotels and piers for steamers form Morecambe and Blackpool being built for the visitors. The easier access to the town meant that wealthy business owners began to build holiday homes in the area. The Edwardian era saw more development as a seaside holiday town with the now traffic free promenade being built in 1904, and other tourist attractions also being developed. Holker Hall and gardens owned by the Cavendish family, is five miles away from the town of Grange-over-sands, and one of Cumbria's historic homes. The original hall was built in the 17th Century on a site that belonged to the Cartmell priory until the dissolution of the monasteries. One wing was destroyed in 1871 but rebuilt by 1874. This historic house offers many wonderful things for visitors to see, from the craftsmanship of the building to the beautiful historic furnishings, from the glorious gardens to the different events held at the hall.
You must login to leave a review
Cumbria Tourist Information